Saturday, December 6, 2014

Seatbelts and Douchebags

If you never had to ask for a seatbelt extender, this is for you. An inside glimpse at that world from a chunky chic.
When I first flew years ago I was nervous about the seats. I wasn't at my heaviest, but still very overweight. When I boarded the plan and attempted to clasp the seatbelt, it would not budge. I smushed, pushed, and did anything I could do to get that damn thing to close, to no avail. With apprehension I approached the flight attendant to ask for an extender. You could see the look of digust in her eye as she handed it to me. If only she knew the disgust I felt for myself for having to ask. Luckily, I would fly with my wife so she didn't mind (or wouldn't admit) if my thighs went on her side of the seat. I minded however. I hated it. I hated flying and never wanted to get on a plane again.
My next issue was the bathroom. I have a small bladder to begin with and when I get nervous, I'm screwed. Anytime I fly I will not eat or drink until I have gone into the airplane bathroom, closed the door, and sat down. I have never not fit, but it still scares me. 
So today was a flying day. I have worked my butt off these last few months but still had fear of not fitting in the seat. I found out I was the only one in my aisle before boarding so I was slightly relieved that my thighs wouldn't touch the neighbors. As I boarded the plane I told the flight attendant I may need an extender. I like to forewarn them before the plane gets to busy. I took my seat, took a breath, and grabbed the seatbelt. It clasped. I wasnt squished and had room to move around. I was ecstatic. The flight attendant walked by shortly after and asked if I needed the extender. Proudly, I said nope I am comfortable. She smiled. I smiled. In fact, I smiled the whole way to Chicago because I knew when I get home I am checking off another box on my bucket list.
The next flight was from Chicago to Hartford and I heard the plane was small. Okay, its really fucking small. One seat on one side, and 2 seats on the other. I approached my seat which was the aisle of the 2 seater and some douchebag dickhead was in it. I decided to take the one seat side rather than cause a commotion.  Once again, I held my breath and grabbed both ends..OMG, it fit. And I fit. In this tiny lil seat with armrests on both sides that were not moveable. Sidenote, the douchebag just smiled at me and I want to punch him but I'm too proud.
So as the plane is about to take off, the attendant asks someone in row 1-7 to sit in the back to distribute weight. Douchebag kinda looks at me, I look at him and remain seated. The guy behind me ends up moving. Screw you people. My butt is secure in this seat, 5A, and thats where it is staying. Then, I tested the bathroom. Yup, I fit. Phew, mise well pee while I am in here..and hang out. Why?? Became I mutha fuckin can. Because I can close the door and do a pirouette if I wanted to. Because I work hard for who I am becoming. And because I am no longer that person that needs an extender. Ya know what else?? I wear the seatbelt even when the pilot says you dont have to!!
Bucket list item complete. Day is great. I am happy. Love and health to all. Except the douchebag. He still is annoying  me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment